Monday, June 18, 2007

The Offspring is not just a band.

So here I am, an impending uncle, talking to my brother daily about the upcoming baa-baa. I'm so glad I was outside when he told me he and Erin were going to have a baby, because I screamed as loud as I could 3 times in a row. If I'd done that in front of all the kids in the daycare, they probably would have freaked out. It was out of joy, though, so that must count for something.
It's funny, the only thing I have to compare my knowledge of this new life development for Ted and Erin to is the fact that I've been trying to raise a stubborn butthead Old English Sheepdog for about 8 months now. That's the closest to parenting I've ever been. And from my conversations with many of the parents at the daycare, it's actually not that far from real parenthood--constant correction, love in the face of frustration, understanding and care for something--someone--whose entire welfare and responsibility lies in your hands.
So the more I think about it, the more I'm amazed. I love my dog so much, even though he's a jerk. And Ted and Erin are going to have an actual human being that is a perfect mix of both of them. They both have such extraordinary qualities that I just can't wait to see which ones make it into Jordan, and what new ones reveal themselves through the years. I want so much to be near, and try to be a presence in this kid's life, just because I love my brother and his wife so much and I know that this new life God has blessed them with will only be another fantastic expression and outpouring of their progress through this world.
love u, tednerin.

3 comments:

Janet Fehskens said...

Unca John, you're the best uncle that baby could have - at least until I read testimonies from your brothers. I wish you could be close to this family, too. Mom

e.h.fehskens said...

i think it's a given that, like hippo, our child will have jerk-like qualities...

MAYBE I'M AMAZED AT THE WAY YOU LOVE ME ALL THE TIME.

Anonymous said...

Interesting to know.